- Prepare a short written report or outline for your counselor, giving
a detailed description of your collection,* including a short history.
Be sure to include why you chose that particular type of
collecting and what you enjoy and have learned from your collection.
*Stamp and coin collecting are excluded from eligibility for this merit badge.
- Explain the growth and development of your collection.
- Demonstrate your knowledge of preserving and displaying your
- Explain the precautions that you need to take to preserve
your collection, including
- Explain how best to display your collection, keeping in mind preserving as discussed above.
- Explain to your counselor the events available for a hobbyist of this collection, including shows, seminars, conventions, contests, and museum programs or exhibits.
- Explain the precautions that you need to take to preserve your collection, including
- Demonstrate your knowledge of collecting and investing. Discuss with
- How investing and speculation would apply to your collection
- What you would look for in purchasing other collections similar to yours
- What you would expect in return value in the event you decided to sell all or part of the collection
- Do the following:
- Discuss with your counselor at least 10 terms commonly used in your collection and be prepared to discuss the definition of each.
- Show your counselor any two groups from your collection. Explain how you organized your collection and why you chose that method. (Note: if your collection is too large to transport and your counselor is unable to view your collection directly, photographs should be available to share.)
- Explain how your collection is valued by other collectors and display to your counselor any price guides that may be available.
- Explain how your collection is graded for value, physical defects, size and age. Show the various grading classifications or ratings used in your collection.
- List the national, state, or local association for collectors in your field of interest
- Show the location of and explain to your counselor the following:
- Identification number (if applicable)
- Brand name (if any)
- Any other special identification marks
- Discuss with your counselor the plans you have to continue with the collection in the future.
- Discuss with your counselor the career opportunities that may be available involving your collection.
- Discuss with your counselor why and how collecting has changed and how this applies to your collection.
BSA Advancement ID#:
Requirements last updated in: 2004
Pamphlet Publication Number: 00000
Pamphlet Stock (SKU) Number: 33242A
Pamphlet Revision Date: 2003
Page updated on: June 20, 2017