Frank Borman’s Prayer
Baltimore Area Council
Have the Cub Scouts and their families form a large circle and hold hands. An adult or den chief reads the following prayer which was broadcast to earth by astronaut Frank Borman while on a moon-orbiting mission:
“Give us, 0 God, the vision which can see Thy love in the world in spite of human failure. Give us the faith to trust Thy goodness in spite of our ignorance and weakness. Give us the knowledge that we may continue to pray with understanding hearts, and show us what each one of us can do to set forward the coming of universal peace.”
San Gabriel Valley, Long Beach, Verdugo Hills Councils
Equipment: A candle for each Scout and matches or a lighter.
- (lights candle) What did it feel like, astronaut, as you flew into outer space? Did you mind being cooped up in such a tiny place?
- (lights candle) Did the stars have points? Did the clouds race by? Did they bump into you as you sailed?
- (lights candle) Did you feel like a kite when the string breaks away and it loses its balancing tail?
- (lights candle) Could you hear the wind as it whistled by? Is the world really big and round?
- (lights candle) Were you scared, astronaut? Were you happy and glad when you walked again on the ground?
Cubmaster: (lights candle) Today these questions can be answered from first-hand experience only by a small handful of men and women. Think for a second: If you are prepared and willing to take the challenge by 2030 AD, you could be a member of that group, a larger group by then, but still a very select group.
I Made a Promise
Sam Houston Area Council
- I made a promise—I said that in whatever I did, I would do the very best I could.
- I made a promise—to serve my God and my country the best I could.
- I made a promise—to help other people the best I could.
- I made a promise—to obey the Law of the Pack the best I could.
- I have done my best, and I will do my best, because I am the best.
- I am a Scout.
- Please stand and join us in reciting the Cub Scout Promise.
Greater St. Louis Area Council
Cards with letters on front and words on back in large print.
For better effect, have the cards make a rocket when complete. Shape the card for B like the nose cone and the cards for O, F, and F form the fins.
- B–Bye for now, my Scout brothers
- L–We had Lots of Fun
- A–Always in the scouting spirit
- S–So, we Send you off with this last thought
- T–Time is not to be wasted
- O–Overall, the Cub Scouting spirit
- F–Finds us New
- F–Friends !